Government to roll out vaccination plan against measles in Busia County


Photo: UNICEF

By: Kibwana Onguso

kmonguso1999@gmail.com

The Ministry of Health in conjunction with the Busia County government, has rolled out plans to vaccinate 101,000 children in the county, aged between 9-59 months.

Speaking to the press during the official launch of the programme at the Busia County Referral hospital, Busia Deputy Governor Moses Mulomi said that Busia was among the 22 counties identified by the health ministry countrywide, to benefit from the children’s vaccination programme.

Mr. Mulomi, appealed to parents in the county to bring their children for the vaccination, adding that the vaccines were necessary to their children, adding that the county had been selected among those which the vaccination process done a while ago ought to be repeated.

Mulomi also stated that the process is expected to last 10 days, and is expected to begin this Saturday.

Parents in the county were urged to take advantage of the opportunity, since failure to get their children vaccinated would result into illnesses that would be incurable in the near future. It was also noted that apart from the normal signs of fever and severe diarrhoea, children might also be exposed to problems such as ear and brain problems, resulting into the children contracting incurable diseases.

The DG, continued by giving an example of rubella disease, which he said causes loss of eyesight, loss of hearing ability among other problems.

According to statistics provided by the county assistant Commissioner Steven Kibandi, the total number of children accounts for 88% of the whole number, adding that there was need to look for and vaccinate the remaining 12% as well.

Mr. Kibandi, warned the parents who refuse their children to be vaccinated due to different and mythical religious beliefs, saying that chiefs will be used to arrest them and bring them to justice for denying their children the right to better and improved health-care.

A team of health officers from the Ministry of Health have been sent to the area days before the beginning of the process, to ensure that the project is a complete success.

Previous Online hate mongers put on notice
Next Meru Woman Rep calls for investigation on 'illegal' protests against her

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *