Kananu supported for her 2022 governor declaration


By:James Wakahiu

Acting Nairobi Governor Ann Kananu has received backing from a youth lobby group following her declaration that she will contest the city gubernatorial race in next year’.

Mount Kenya Youth Caucus through its chairman Linford Mutembei and John Kiyambi, an official,  yesterday said Kananu who took over after controversial politician Mike Sonko was  impeached last year, like anybody else has a right to contest for the coveted seat, arguing that in the short period she has been in office, she her proofed her capability.

“The Nairobi seat is open for anyone who would want to contests, including Kananu who has declared her intentions to seek the seek. People should scrutinize her, not on based on the circumstances under which  she took over the position, but on her leadership and managerial skills which she has proofed by working well together with Nairobi Metropolitan Service (NMS)  restoring the lost glory and dignity of the capital,” Mutembei said, adding that she deserves support from all leaders to turn around the city.

Kananu, Mutembei said has been credited for restoring decorum at City Hall, citing among other things ending shenanigans that have for long characterized county political leadership and agreeing to work with Major General Mohammed Badi-led NMS, which has been credited for transforming infrastructure and offering of services, which were previously in a mess,.

The deputy governor whose elevation to the position of City Hall chief has been frustrated by pending court cases, while speaking at a function on Friday last week, told her critics that while she is currently pre-occupied with providing good leadership for the betterment of the electorate, they should not think that she only intends go home next year, adding that she will use the  period s she will be in office to demonstrate  her ability.

“I want to thank President Uhuru Kenyatta and Raila Odinga. I am the firstborn child of the handshake and I won’t let them down. Hata 2022 niko kwa debe, wakidhani naingia nitoke, nimeingia nikae. Nitapambana nao (I will be vying in 2022. For those who think I am only here for a little while, I am telling them that I am here to stay. We shall faceoff, Wasidhani naingia nitoke, naingia kukaa (they should not think that I am here just for a while, I am here to stay” Kananu said.

Yesterday, while addressing the media at Maple Restaurant in Ruiru, Mutembei said women leaders should be encouraged and supported to contest for top positions, adding that what Nairobi needs is a sober leader who will agree to work with other leaders to transform the city.

Kananu, who was the County Chief Officer for Disaster Management and Coordination in Sonko’s administration, was picked by Sonko on January 6, 2020 to replace Polycarp Igathe but her nomination was a subject of a protracted court case until last year when the petition was withdrawn follow Sonko’s ouster.

However, a plan to make her the governor in a move that was seen as a deliberate plot by the State to avert a election that was scheduled for February, has been hindered by several court cases and Mutembei said petitions in the cases, who include Sonko should withdrawal to allow her work in peace.

Previous ARE YOU MATURE?
Next Lobby protests return of nicotine pouches

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *