By: Kibwana Moses

This week saw man remarkable events taking centre stage. Grab your reading glasses as we delve into some of these stories and events bit by bit:

Lawyers battle out in court over BBI appeal hearing

The BBI process which was halted in May by the High Court is expected to know its fate after the process was taken to the court of appeal.

The case is being presided over by Court of Appeal president Daniel Musinga. This week, both sides were given chance by the court to present their submissions, after which the judges are expected to retrieve to their chambers and come up with a judgement soon.

Expressing confidence in the process, Dennis Waweru who has been a key proponent of the process has urged Kenyans to be prepared for a referendum soon.

This comes days after the DP William Ruto last week, was seen to indirectly dismiss the BBI proponents, accusing the president of trying to use state power and influence to his advantage by amending the law.

Friday (today), marks the last day of the petition hearing.

Uhuru jets in France for bilateral talks

President Uhuru Kenyatta, Thursday morning was received by his France counterpart Emmanuel Macron at the Elysee Palace in France.

Kenyatta who left for France late Wednesday night, held bilateral meetings with Macron, where they discussed several subjects of interest to both countries.

Among the projects discussed, is the expansion of the Rironi-Nakuru-Mau Summit Road, which is a total of 233 kilometers. The project, is expected to kick off September this year, and is expected to cost a total of sh 160 billion.

The two, also discussed cooperation between the two countries in other matters of interest such as health and in particular local production of mass COVID-19 vaccination.

President Kenyatta was accompanied by Transport Cabinet Secretaries James Macharia and Foreign Affairs CS Raychelle Omamo.

7pm-4am curfew in 12 counties extended for 30 days

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday, extended containment measures in the country and in particular the recently imposed restrictions to 12 counties for a further 30 days.

The daily curfew which currently begins at 7am through to 4 am, will remain in effect until July 31st. The restrictions which were imposed on the 17th of June due to a spike in the rate of infections, affects 12 counties in the former Western and Nyanza provinces.

Among the counties affected include: Kisumu, Trans-Nzoia, Kakamega, Homabay and Migori among others.

Other counties not listed as COVID hotspots, are expected to proceed with the normal 10pm-4am for a further 60 days.

Other measures also reviewed include increase of hours for one’s funeral from 72 hours to 96 hours after confirmation of death, increase in the number of people allowed to attend a funeral to 100 persons among other measures

Kenyans now wait to see whether the measures put in place will reduce the rate of infections in the country.

Tuju warns defaulters to quit Jubilee Party.

Jubilee Secretary general Raphael Tuju, has now urged leaders from the Tangatanga wing of the Jubilee party who are still members of the party, to quit instead of continuously lamenting about the party.

Mr. Tuju, added that there wasn’t need for the leaders to go on complaining of the party’s leadership, yet they openly distanced themselves from the party and its activities.

The Tangatanga wing of the Jubilee Party has openly come out to reject the plans by Jubilee and ODM party for a merger.

The leaders have in the recent past been seen to join UDA party which is aligned to the Deputy President. The leaders now want the disbandment of the party.

Co-wife gone rogue

A woman in Kawangware, has lost eight teeth after she was attacked by her co-wife. The woman who was attacked in front of her husband, lost 3 teeth on site, after which a dentist recommended that five more teeth which were loose be removed.

The woman, who was identified as Esther Chebet, was headed home at night at around 10pm in the company of her husband, when her co-wife Sarah Muteisi cornered them and grievously injured her.

According to the p3 form seen by journalists, Esther was hit by a stone in her mouth, making her bleed profusely and loose 3 teeth instantly.

Muteisi, was later arrested and arraigned at Kibera Law Courts, where she pleaded not guilty and freed on a cash bail of sh 100,000.

Written by Kibwana Moses

Previous Bills seeking to quash degree requirement gets Senate nod
Next Security agencies introduce measures to curb rampant coffee theft in Meru

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *